Why not try changing the inbox type so that you can organise your emails in a way that suits you.
To do this:
- Go to the “settings” cog in the top right hand corner of your Gmail account, this will bring up “quick settings” – from here you can adjust density, theme, reading pane and inbox type.
- Under “inbox type” select one of the following:
- Unread first: Arrange your emails so that “unread” messages appear at the top of your inbox, with “everything else” appearing in chronological order below this. Once you have selected this option, you can also set the number of emails you wish to display in “unread” and “everything else” by clicking on the three dots to the right of each section.
- Important or Starred First: Anything you have flagged with a Star and/or the Importance marker will appear at the top of your inbox.
- Multiple inboxes: Split your inbox out in up to 5 sections by clicking “customise” on this option. Under the search query you can then define your sections with a filter by entering the following:
- label: name of label – For an existing label
- from: person’s email address – Based on sender (Add multiple senders by entering from: person’s address OR another address.)
- is: name of marker – marker can be “Starred”, “drafts”, “unread” etc
Once you have entered your search query, name each section so that they will appear with this name in your inbox. Once you’re happy simply “Save changes”
Priority first: Your emails are automatically split into three sections: “important and unread”, “starred” and “everything else”. This can be adjusted by clicking “customise” on this option. Use the dropdowns to change what type of emails you want to see first in your inbox. Once you’re happy simply “Save changes”